- Paul O’Brien
- Phone: +61 2 9231 7020
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Paul is a commercial and insurance litigator with over 25 years experience as a legal practitioner. He was a partner of DLA Phillips Fox for more than 10 years before joining Yeldham Price O’Brien Lusk.
Paul’s work has enjoyed peer and industry recognition. He has been consistently rated as one of the leading insurance and reinsurance lawyers in Australia. As long ago as 2006, the International Who’s Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers described Paul as ‘one of the best litigators in the region’. Paul has most recently been mentioned as a leading Australian insurance and reinsurance lawyer in publications such as Chambers & Partners Guides for 2013, 2014 and 2015, and the International Who’s Who of Insurance and Insurance Lawyers for 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Paul has acted for major local and international insurers and their insureds. His areas of expertise include:
- Insurance and reinsurance claims monitoring and coverage, particularly for large-scale excess of loss claims and financial lines claims
- Professional indemnity defence litigation, especially financial lines and building and construction
- Insurance coverage litigation
- Reinsurance advice and claims
- First party loss claims, particularly under fidelity, crime and bankers bond covers
- Policy drafting
- Regulatory matters, including APRA, ASIC and ACCC investigations
- Product liability
- General commercial litigation
Examples of Paul’s expertise include:
- Acting as coverage and monitoring counsel in respect of significant excess of loss insurance exposures relating to class action claims arising out of the 2009 Victorian Bushfires and the 2011 Queensland Floods;
- Acting as coverage counsel on various reinsurance exposures arising from the 2010 and 2011 Christchurch Earthquakes;
- Acting as coverage and monitoring counsel in respect of significant financial lines claims. These include various shareholder class action claims (including the Leightons Shareholder Class Action), various investment adviser class actions (including the Storm Financial class action), and other large-scale claims against leading financial institutions;
- Conducting the CSR/NZI asbestos coverage litigation (which was resolved for a publicly disclosed amount of $100million and involved policies issued from 1955 to 1975);
- Conducting the Cigna anti-trust injunction litigation in the High Court of Australia;
- Acting as Coordinating counsel for Australian insurers involved in the CSR insurance coverage and anti-trust litigation in New Jersey, USA;
- Providing insurance coverage advice in connection with the collapse of Opes Prime, Allco Finance, Prime Brokers and Storm Financial
- Advising on claims defence and coverage issues arising from investments in Westpoint, Basis Yield and CDO Investments, and other financial lines claims arising out of the Global Financial Crisis;
- Acting for auditors and their professional indemnity insurer in respect of potential claims arising from the collapse of a major property development company and its financing subsidiary.
Paul is a member of the Law Society of New South Wales and the Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA). He is a past president of the New South Wales branch of AILA, and a past director of the AILA National Board.