High Court success for Racing NSW and Harness Racing NSWAuthors: Timothy Price
On 30 March 2012, the High Court unanimously decided in favour of Racing NSW and Harness Racing NSW declaring the race fields fees charged to wagering operators – Betfair and Sportsbet – valid. The judgments represent the much anticipated outcome of the challenge by Betfair and Sportsbet to the race fields legislation and fees on the grounds that they impeded interstate trade in breach of section 92 of the Constitution.
The result paved the way for the release of over $100 million in funding for the racing industry in New South Wales and will lead to a long term increase in additional revenue estimated to be $1 billion. The judgments are being closely reviewed by all sporting codes to determine their impact on the ability to raise additional revenue from wagering.
- Betfair Pty Ltd v Racing New South Wales  HCA 12 (30 March 2012)
- Sportsbet Pty Ltd v New South Wales  HCA 13 (30 March 2012)
- The Australian – Win for racing industry as betting firms lose High Court fees challenge
- The Daily Telegraph ï¿½ Better betting deal is a big win for all sport
- The Sydney Morning Herald ï¿½ Everyoneï¿½s a winner as Racing NSW hits the jackpot
- The Sydney Morning Herald ï¿½ Vï¿½landys leads way, other must follow
- The Sydney Morning Herald ï¿½ Better deal for owners and punters is on the money thanks to court ruling