Dougal is an insurance and commercial litigator with more than 20 years of experience. He was admitted to practice in New South Wales in October 2000 and is also admitted to practice in the High Court and Queensland.
Dougal has been with YPOL since the firm was founded in 2007 and was previously a Senior Associate at a national firm.
Dougal has extensive coverage and defence experience with a focus on financial lines, professional indemnity and complex commercial insurance programs. He has specialist experience in professional indemnity matters which raise issues of fraud and dishonesty. He also acts in litigated and unlitigated commercial disputes for plaintiffs and defendants, as well as defamation matters, and has conducted a wide range of matters in all levels in State, Federal and overseas jurisdictions.
- Bachelor of Laws, University of New South Wales (1999)
- Bachelor of Arts, University of New South Wales (1999)
Particular examples of Dougal’s experience are:
- Defending professional negligence claims against solicitors, accountants, insolvency practitioners, architects and other professionals
- Providing coverage and monitoring advice to Australian and overseas D&O insurers at all levels of cover in relation to major investment adviser class actions and shareholder class actions
- Conduct of indemnity proceedings against insurers of a large multinational construction group
- Advising primary and excess layer insurers in relation to major claims against financial institutions, professional service firms and construction contractors.
- Advising the Australian insurers of a multinational group regarding multiple legal proceedings in the USA
- Acting in defamation disputes in range of contexts, including claims against professional service providers, board disputes, disputes involving government, educational, community and religious organisations, advising prospective defendants on responding to threatened defamation action, and providing insurers with advice on defamation claims against policyholders
- Mortgage and loan fraud, identity fraud, banking fraud, misuse of trust moneys and trust property
- Advising a peak national body on aspects of competition law and general commercial law
- Successful defence of solicitors in a wide range of matters including claims arising from intellectual property disputes, conduct of litigation, commercial and property transactions, wills and estates disputes, conveyancing, insolvency and employment issues