Sarah holds a Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) and Bachelor of Arts from the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand.
She was admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the New Zealand High Court in 2013, and as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the Federal Court and High Court of Australia in 2018.
Prior to joining YPOL, Sarah was employed in a boutique insurance firm acting for insurers in professional indemnity litigation. She also has considerable experience working as a Judge’s clerk at the High Court in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Sarah specialises in providing coverage advice and acting as defence counsel for local and international insurers on professional indemnity claims against a wide range of professionals including solicitors, engineers, and architects.
Particular examples of Sarah’s experience are:
- Conducting the successful defence of Chubb in the leading decision of All Class Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd (in Liq) v Chubb Insurance Australia Limited (2021) 154 ACSR 78. This was a coverage claim by an insurance broker which collapsed in early 2013, as an alleged result of fraudulent misappropriations by its former sole director, shareholder and company secretary. The Federal Court found that Chubb was entitled to avoid the policy for the fraudulent non-disclosure of the insured’s sole director.
- Numerous claims for civil, structural and fire engineers in connection with defective buildings, including schools
- Acting for lawyers in professional negligence claims, including in relation to personal injury proceedings
- Acting for geotechnical engineers in relation to negligence claims, including in relation to asbestos
- Acting for architects in relation to claims involving aspects of defective design
- Conducting the defence of medical malpractice claims against laser and beauty clinics