Before embarking on litigation, parties to a dispute in New South Wales need to consider the pre-litigation civil dispute resolution requirements which came into force on 1 April 2011. These requirements are designed to encourage the resolution of civil disputes prior to the commencement of certain proceedings by the use of cost penalties.
Significant cases, legislation or articles referred to
- Courts and Crimes Legislation Further Amendment Act 2010 (NSW)
- Civil Procedure Act 2005 (NSW)
- Civil Dispute Resolution Bill 2010 (Cth)
- Civil Procedure Regulation 2005 (NSW)
- Civil Procedure Amendment (Excluded Proceedings) Regulation 2011 (NSW)