- Andrew Spearritt
- Phone: +61 2 9231 7014
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrew is an insurance litigator with over 30 years experience as a legal practitioner. He was an equity partner at Dunhill Madden Butler, PWC Legal and Curwoods Lawyers before joining YPOL.
Andrew has recently been mentioned as a leading Dust Diseases & Toxic Tort (Defendant) Lawyer Rankings – New South Wales, 2018 in the Doyles peer reviewed publication. He has been a regular presenter of papers on asbestos litigation at the International Conference on Asbestos Litigation in London 2010-2013 inclusive and has recently presented a paper on asbestos litigation in NSW for the University of NSW CLE programme. He is the author and co-author of several articles concerning asbestos and insurance litigation.
Andrew has acted for a number of insurers and reinsurers and their insureds. His areas of expertise include:
- Insurance and reinsurance claims including coverage issues
- Excess of loss claims for insurers and reinsurers
- Product and public liability
- Common law and employment claims in multiple jurisdictions
- Catastrophic and complex claims in multiple jurisdictions
- Abuse claims in multiple jurisdictions
- General litigation advice
Andrew’s experience includes:
- managing and advising on coverage, indemnity, liability and quantum for a major portfolio of asbestos claims;
- acting in and advising on multiple silicosis claims in NSW and Qld;
- representing the insurer in one of the earliest passive smoking cases in a common law jurisdiction (Sharp v Stephen Guinery t/as Port Kembla Hotel and Port Kembla RSL Club  NSWSC 336 (23/4/01);
- representing the insurer in the landmark decision of Orica Ltd v CGU Insurance Ltd  NSWCA 331;
- acting in multiple cases concerning the interpretation of the insurance provisions in s.151AB of the Workers Compensation Act, 1987 as amended; QBE Insurance Australia Limited v Dust Diseases Tribunal of NSW  NSWCA 421, CGU Insurance Limited v Davies  and CGU Insurance Ltd v AAI Limited  NSWCA 335 and  NSWCA 58;
- acted for the insurer in a case involving the categorisation of smoke as a dust in East West Airlines Limited v Turner  NSWCA 53 (special leave to the High Court of Australia refused);
- acted for the reinsurer in a case involving catastrophic injuries arising out of a helicopter accident: Cook and Ors v Modern Mustering Pty Ltd and Ors  NTCA 1 (23 June 2017); (special leave to the High Court of Australia refused);
- acting for insurers in catastrophic and complex claims in Tasmania, New South Wales, ACT, and Queensland.
Andrew is a member of the Law Society of New South Wales and the Australian Insurance Law Association. He is a qualified mediator and also specialist accredited for personal injury with the Law Society of New South Wales.