- Sanjay Selvakumaran
- Special Counsel
- Phone: 61 2 9231 7011
- Email: email@example.com
Sanjay is an experienced insurance and commercial litigator. He holds a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Arts in Communication (Journalism) from the University of Technology, Sydney.
Before joining YPOL Lawyers, Sanjay gained invaluable experience as the tipstaff to a judge of the Supreme Court of New South Wales. He was a senior lawyer and solicitor advocate at the Crown Solicitor’s Office and a senior associate at Makinson d’Apice Lawyers.
As a litigator and advocate, Sanjay has had carriage of and assisted in a wide range of matters including class actions, large-scale and international commercial disputes and criminal matters. Sanjay has acted for and appeared on behalf of insurers, the State of New South Wales, companies and individuals in most jurisdictions including the High Court of Australia, Federal Court of Australia, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of New South Wales and the District, Local and Coroner’s Courts of New South Wales.
Sanjay’s areas of expertise include:
- insurance litigation
- medical negligence
- general liability claims
- commercial litigation
- inquests and inquiries
Particular examples of Sanjay’s experience are:
- acting for a general practitioner (via the medical indemnity insurer) charged with common assault (charges dismissed) and in the Medical Council of New South Wales in relation to the doctor’s registration.
- appearing as solicitor advocate on behalf of the Ministry of Health in mediations and settlement conferences.
- appearing (without counsel) for a general practitioner (via the medical indemnity insurer) in an inquest held into the suicide of a young woman following her discharge from hospital (Inquest into the death of Naomi Watson Ley, 3 May 2018).
- acting for the State of New South Wales in representative proceedings commenced by juveniles who had allegedly been falsely imprisoned (Konneh v State of New South Wales).
- advising an Australian automotive retail and logistics company in relation to a failed $400m buyout by a Chinese conglomerate.
- acting for the State of New South Wales in appeal proceedings raising issues about the proper application of the Civil Liability Act (State of New South Wales v Ouhammi  NSWCA 225);
- acting for the Commissioner of Police in proceedings commenced by a medical practitioner alleging the unlawful procurement of a search warrant (Lee v NSW Commissioner of Police (No.3)  NSWSC 694) and raising issues regarding client legal privilege (Lee v NSW Commissioner of Police  NSWSC 405)
Sanjay is a member of the Law Society of New South Wales.