Michelle is an experienced commercial and insurance litigation lawyer strongly motivated to achieve the best results for her clients. She was admitted as a solicitor in New South Wales and Queensland in 1997.
Prior to joining YPOL, Michelle was a Senior Associate at Phillips Fox (now DLA Piper).
Michelle’s recent years of focus have been in providing coverage and monitoring advice in large scale excess of loss claims and financial loss claims, with particular experience in securities class action claims. Her expertise includes policy construction and indemnity advice, insurance coverage disputes, professional indemnity defence litigation (solicitors, engineers, trustees and other professionals), as well as directors and officers, financial lines and fidelity insurance.
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours IIA)
- Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Queensland
Particular examples of Michelle’s experience are:
- Acting for insurers of the CBA in relation to coverage and monitoring arising from the $700 million civil penalty imposed on the CBA for contraventions of the AML/CTF Act, and subsequent securities class action proceedings
- Acting for insurers of Westpac in relation to coverage and monitoring arising from the $1.3 billion civil penalty imposed on the Bank for contraventions of the AML/CTF Act, and subsequent securities class action proceedings both in Australia and overseas
- Acting as coverage and monitoring counsel for primary and excess layer D&O insurers in respect of large scale financial lines claims, including shareholder class action claims against Woolworths, WorleyParsons and Sirtex
- Acting as coverage counsel in respect of significant excess of loss insurance exposures relating to large scale compensation programs for inappropriate financial advice by a leading Australian bank
- Professional indemnity coverage advice in relation to multiple class action claims against a professional trustee for investment debenture holders
- Crime coverage policy advice for claims of employee theft
- Coverage advice in respect of professional services insurance cover issued to an insurer, relating to contribution with respect to settlement negotiations (having regard to covered versus uncovered losses) and allocation of defence costs
- Advising and assisting in the defence of professional indemnity claims against solicitors, engineers and other professionals