- Dougal Langusch
- Phone: +61 2 9231 7061
- Email: email@example.com
Dougal is an insurance and commercial litigator with more than 18 years of experience. He was admitted to practice in New South Wales in October 2000 and is also admitted to practice in the High Court and Queensland.
Dougal has extensive coverage and defence experience with a focus on financial lines, professional indemnity and complex commercial insurance programs. He has specialist experience in professional indemnity matters which raise issues of fraud and dishonesty. He also acts in litigated and unlitigated commercial disputes for plaintiffs and defendants, as well as defamation matters.
Dougal’s experience includes:
- defending professional negligence claims against solicitors, accountants, insolvency practitioners, architects and other professionals;
- successful defence of Supreme Court proceedings on behalf of solicitors (Bailey v La Hood  NSWSC 1354; Trajkovski v Simpson  NSWSC 720);
- disputes arising from commercial transactions and investments;
- providing coverage advice to insurers in relation to major investment adviser class actions (including Storm Financial) and shareholder class actions (including Leighton Holdings);
- advising primary and excess layer insurers in relation to major claims against financial institutions and professional service firms;
- advocate’s immunity (White v Forster  NSWSC 1767; Neale v Mahony  NSWSC 1046);
- directors’ and officers’ liability;
- mortgage and loan fraud, identity fraud, banking fraud (Colonial Mutual Superannuation Pty Limited v Flammia No. 2  FCA 1655 and No. 3  FCA 2104), misuse of trust moneys and trust property;
- successfully defending proceedings against solicitors which arose from the exercise of options in an intellectual property venture and subsequent litigation (A I McLean Pty Limited & Anor v Hayson & Ors  NSWSC 927);
- successfully defending proceedings against solicitors arising from the conduct of a banking dispute in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Court of Appeal and High Court (Gattellaro v Spencer  NSWSC 1122;  NSWCA 415);
- successfully conducting a litigated dispute over a commercial lease on behalf of the lessor;
- successfully conducting recovery and summary judgment proceedings on behalf of a financier;
- disputes arising from leases, mortgages, overseas and interstate litigation, conveyancing, gaming machine licensing, insolvency, employment and intellectual property issues;
- commercial and trade practices disputes;
- fidelity insurance; and
- forum disputes.
Dougal holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of NSW. He is a member of the Law Society of New South Wales, the Australian Insurance Law Association, the Australian Professional Indemnity Group and the NSW Claims Discussion Group.